It’s a strange question to kick off the working day on board Save the Children’s rescue ship: Would we rather stop our search and rescue operations completely, and risk people drowning, than return migrants and refugees to Libya? But that’s the question we were forced to ask ourselves – and the answer is clear. This is not an …
The Spanish NGO Proactiva Open Arms announced Tuesday evening via social networks that its ship, Blue Gulf, had been seized for two hours by the Libya coastguard in international waters and forced to head to Libyan ones, ANSA reported Wednesday.
Two non-governmental organizations have said they are suspending migrant search and rescue operations in the Mediterranean because they feel threatened by the Libyan authorities.
The Italian government on Sunday welcomed Libya’s decision to bar foreign vessels from a stretch of water off its coast, as two more international charities halted search and rescue operations in the area.
The Commander of Tripoli Naval Base, Abdulhakim Abuhuwiya, has confirmed that the Libyan Naval Force won’t accept any violation of Libya’s territorial waters.
The ship has been stranded outside Malta’s waters as Italian authorities refused to let the migrants disembark. The Maltese authorities did the same with Deputy Prime Minister Chris Fearne saying that Malta has every right to refuse the migrants.
A humanitarian group operating in the Mediterranean is accusing the Libyan coast guard of issuing grave threats and firing warning shots towards its boat.
The Spokesman of the Libyan Navy Ayoub Qassim said Sunday the Italian vessel, Comandante Borsini, left Tripoli Naval Base after five days of a working visit that saw Italian experts and technicians conducting a closeup assessment of the needs of Libya’s naval vessels.
On Wednesday, the European Union announced a new program worth 46 million Euros ($ 53.3 million) which aims to strengthen the integrated capabilities of the Libyan authorities regarding illegal immigration management and border administration.
Libyan commander General Khalifa Haftar, head of the Libyan National Army, has ordered the bombing of any Italian warships requested by the prime minister of the Government of National Accord of Libya Fayez al-Sarraj, excluding merchant vessels.