The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) expressed, on Wednesday, concern over the rapidly deteriorating humanitarian situation in Tripoli.
The ICRC published its statement on its website saying that “tensions that started earlier this week have turned into armed confrontations in parts of Tripoli, in western Libya. An unknown number of people have reportedly been killed, and dozens of people injured, including civilians, are making their way to health facilities.”
The ICRC’s head of the delegation for Libya, Karl Mattli, said that he is “concerned about the rapidly deteriorating situation in Tripoli.”
“We have teams on the ground to assess the needs and provide the necessary support. Assisting health facilities that are treating the injured is currently our top priority,” Mattli stated.
The statement said that the ICRC “is in contact with all groups involved in the clashes to facilitate the delivery of its humanitarian assistance.”
It added that “the ICRC has donated four war-wounded kits containing enough medical material to treat 200 casualties to major hospitals in Tripoli. It also supported Libyan Red Crescent first-aid responders with dressing material and first-aid kits, enough to help stabilise over 80 injuries varying from medium to severe.”
“We will continue to follow the situation very closely in order to have a better understanding of the humanitarian needs and respond accordingly,” Mattli added.
The ICRC urged “all those bearing weapons to spare civilian lives and property, and to facilitate safe access to Red Cross and Red Crescent aid staff and volunteers who are bringing life-saving assistance.”