Sunday , 19 September 2021
Home / Normal / Italian fishing boats seized in east Libya on way back home, Conte says
Italian lawyer Giuseppe Conte leaves after a meeting with Italy's President Sergio Mattarella on May 23, 2018 at the Quirinale presidential palace in Rome. Italy's president approved little-known lawyer Giuseppe Conte's nomination to be prime minister of a government formed by far-right and anti-establishment parties. / AFP PHOTO / Vincenzo PINTO

Italian fishing boats seized in east Libya on way back home, Conte says

Italy’s  Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte announced Friday that the Libyan authorities have authorized the release of two Italian fishing boats seized in waters near the North African country earlier this week.

“I have just had confirmation that the two fishing boats, the Matteo Mazzarino and Afrodite Pesca, which were seized by Libyan military units Wednesday, have been authorized to return to Italy,” Conte said in a statement.

“Our fellow citizens will finally be able to return home. We never left them alone and we worked constantly for a breakthrough”.

However, Vincenzo Asaro, whose company owns the Matteo Mazzarino, said the two boats were heading towards “more tranquil fishing waters” in the direction of Greece.

Check Also

Libya’s interim government must end civil society crackdown

In 2011, Libyans took to the streets to overthrow the regime of Muammar Gaddafi after …