UNSMIL said in a statement Monday that a second round of the 5+5 Libyan Joint Military Commission (JMC) talks concluded on February 23 at the Palace of Nations in Geneva in the presence of UN envoy to Libya Ghassan Salame.
UNSMIL said the JMC is one of the three tracks which it is working on, in addition to the economic and political tracks, calling upon the two parties to reach a lasting ceasefire agreement.
“UNSMIL and the two parties prepared a draft ceasefire agreement to facilitate the safe return of civilians to their areas with the implementation of a joint monitoring mechanism under the auspices of UNSMIL and the JMC.” It said.
It added that the two parties had agreed to present the draft agreement to their respective leaderships for further consultations and to meet again next month to resume the discussions and complete the preparation of the Terms of Reference of the sub-committees in charge of the implementation of the agreement.
UNSMIL renewed its call for both parties to fully abide by the current truce and the protection of the civilian population, properties and vital infrastructure.
Meanwhile, the first round ended on February 09 without reaching a ceasefire agreement.
The Head of the Presidential Council Fayez Al-Sarraj announced last week suspension of participation at the 5+5 military talks in Geneva after Haftar’s forces had rocket-attacked Tripoli port, yet the UNSMIL later announced resuming the talks in Geneva.
This is only an excerpt. You can read the full article on The Libya Observer