TRIPOLI, Libya: Libya’s internationally recognized government on Wednesday said five detainees had admitted to killing five reporters from a local television station as well as two Tunisian journalists, in murders previously claimed by ISIS.
The five-member Cyrenaica TV crew kidnapped near Ajdabiya nearly nine months ago are reported to have been beheaded by the Islamic State (IS).
Libya’s Justice Minister, Mabruk Grera, said that he was unable to give an exact number of prisoners charged with terrorism offences, but that many of those held were foreign nationals from Yemen, Sudan, Egypt and Tunisia.
Libyan state firm Arabian Gulf Oil Company (AGOCO) is producing 317,000 barrels per day (bpd), the highest level in the last two years, the company’s spokesman said on Monday.
Takfiri militants operating in Libya have attacked three oilfields and a pipeline in the eastern part of the North African country, Libyan officials say.
The two Tunisian journalists missing in Libya since September, Sofiane Chourabi and Nadhir Gtari, are still alive according to the head of Information and Culture Authority, Omar Gaweiri. “We are working to get them free”, he told Libya Herald but aske the media and politicians, particularly in Tunisia, not to sensationalise …
An armed forces officer was injured on Sunday in an exchange of fire with militants in Al-Wahat district, near the Siwa Oasis and the Libyan border. One of the militants was killed, according to a statement from the military spokesman.
A car bomb has exploded outside Ajdabiya’s Security Directorate headquarters, just weeks after double bomb attacks in Tobruk and Beida.
The Presidency of the General Chief of Staff has decided to establish a Military Operations Room for the Central region.
Minister of Defence Sedki Sobhi announced on Monday that all troops in the western region must be ready to counter possible terrorist threats on the Egyptian border with Libya.