Libya’s High Council of State has categorically rejected dialogue with renegade General Khalifa Haftar stressing the need for an immediate ceasefire and to allow the Government of National Accord (GNA) to spread its control over all Libyan territory, Libya Al-Ahrar reported.
Four civilians have been killed in a new landmine explosion, the National Commission for Human Rights in Libya (NCHRL) said on Monday.
Libyan warlord Khalifa Haftar, who previously lived for decades in Virginia, has said he deserves immunity from a pair of civil lawsuits in the US accusing him of atrocities and indiscriminate killings because he is Libya’s head of state, the Associated Press reported.
Renegade military commander Khalifa Haftar’s forces have dismissed a ceasefire announcement by Libya’s internationally recognised government as a “marketing” stunt.
The much-touted agreement cements the regional divide between traditionalist monarchies and their rivals, while their respective proxies fight over the spoils from Libya to Yemen.
The announcement of a cease-fire was a rare positive development in a chaotic conflict plagued by foreign meddling. But skeptics abound.
Libya’s UN-recognised government announced a ceasefire across the country on Friday and called for demilitarising the contested strategic city of Sirte.
Cairo hopes alliances boost its legitimacy if it were to engage in battle against forces backed by Turkey.
The spokesman for Khalifa Haftar’s forces Ahmed Al-Mismari said the announcement of Petroleum Facilities Guard’s (PFG) Head Naji Al-Maghrabi meant they would allow emptying oil tanks not resuming production and exports.
Strongman Khalifa Haftar has lost the initiative, and it looks as if the only option left for his international backers is to divide the country.