This SSR Backgrounder is about the roles and responsibilities of the justice sector in good security sector governance (SSG). The justice sector plays a role in providing security by upholding the rule of law, but it also plays a role in democratic oversight of the security sector by holding security personnel and the state to account before the law. This SSR Backgrounder explains different perspectives on the role of the justice sector in good SSG and why this is relevant to SSR.
This SSR Backgrounder answers the following questions:
- What is the justice sector?
- How do the principles of good SSG apply to the justice sector?
- What is the role of non-state justice providers?
- How does the justice sector provide security?
- How does the justice sector provide security sector oversight?
- Why is the justice sector part of SSR?